Saturday 6 February 2016

TRUTHS. Part 1*3

February, what a month. I am more than glad to welcome this new month after the shenanigans associated with the festive season and January blues. Anyone living in Kenya knows that January is no joke because somehow everybody seems to be magically broke in January; it doesn’t matter whether you are good at saving, or that you paid all your bills in good time…that dough just doesn’t seem to flow jeez. Enough rambling for now, and allow me to indulge you in something intriguing I recently underwent in this three part blog series I call TRUTHS.



Last February, I helped a friend organize a surprise engagement for his girlfriend. They had been dating for a year and things were cozy enough between them to take it to the next level. Well, she did say yes and after the customary tears and declarations of endless love they moved in together and even wedding preparations were underway. So last week again this friend, let’s call him Mark, calls me as he needs ideas about their first anniversary celebration,

“I need something classy and authentic but with just the right amount of romance,” he said sounding love struck as usual.
“I got you, what’s the budget?”
“Same as last time.”



So today at 5.00AM Mark’s girlfriend calls me, sobbing and incoherent telling me something along the lines of “you should talk to him” and that she is sorry. I listen half sleepy not understanding a word of what she is saying, heaven knows I hate drama in my life. Besides I had been working the whole night and was in no mental or physical state to understand her. As soon as she hangs up I got back to sleep till around 11AM, when Mark calls and tells me to get ready as he is coming to pick me up in half an hour for brunch. FYI that’s code for we need to talk. He pulls up in front of my house twenty minutes later looking like a tractor ran him over. Then he answers my greeting with a nod as we speed off nearly running over my poor caretaker. This looks really bad.


A few cocktails later, I learn that he just broke off his engagement. Case and point, the fiancĂ© had forgotten that she was a mother of two kids, yes KIDS, and in this case four year old twins! How on earth did he find out? He goes on to tell me that he stumbled across a picture that she was tagged on, on Facebook by some dude. In it she was heavily pregnant and when he asked her about it, at first she denied it… then went on to lie to him that the kid was dead. Seeing that it was a sensitive topic he didn't press on.

What intrigued me however wasn’t the news about kids, because everyone knows he loves children as he was always talking about how he needs at least six, but why did he call off the engagement? After the pregnancy discovery they hit a rough patch but he wanted things back to normal that’s why he called her sister to help him chose a dress for her, for the surprise anniversary. Long story short as they were shopping he asked her how her kids were doing. Surprised she told him she only had one child.
“What about the ones you were with at the Kids Festival?”
“Oh! You are confusing them, mine is older but those are Stella’s twins.”

An innocent remark, but that was it. That evening Stella went ballistic on her poor sister who had no idea her kids were a secret. They had a pretty nasty fight where she confessed to having kids (who are alive), and her reason for not telling him was cause she forgot. That simple.


“I cannot trust a mother who can deny her own children to be my wife and possibly the mother of my kids, how on earth," he said.







No comments:

Post a Comment